- Try building your own APR. Also, check what APR is being used; if you already have an APR version 0.9.x, the new APR will be named apr-1-config instead of apr-config, and likewise apu-config will be apu-1-config to get the proper version.
- Try building Apache --with-included-apr.
- Try using a different version of OpenSSL, even if you have to go back a version. Security holes are typically backported as a letter release to the previous one or two point releases.
- Under linux, remember to run sudo ldconfig, make clean, make if you're having trouble.
- Under MacOS, if you're building under a prefix, make sure to add the prefix to the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.
LAMPP and then some
I recently built Apache, MySQL, PHP, Python, SQLite, OpenSSL, Subversion , and Trac on a Mac, an Ubuntu box, and a RHEL 4 box. Don't ask why, just see these tips: